When Dennis Hutchinson began his career at American Structurepoint in February of 1974, he joined a team of 12 people. He is one of only two employees (the other, Rick Conner) who have experienced four relocations over the years. Through the company’s growth, there has been one constant force that keeps him coming back; the people.
Dennis has been with American Structurepoint for 45 years and a lot of LIFE comes with that. Here are five things you might not know about one of our most seasoned employees:
- His favorite company location was his first – 909 E 38th Street. He was hired as a draftsman, so he appreciated the large windows and bright workspace that the building provided.
- In April, he will celebrate 35 years of marriage with his wife, Maura. Together, Dennis and Maura host tours to Ireland. Their next adventure on the docket is for summer of 2020, to Scotland and Ireland.
- He began flying sailplanes at age 8, flew solo at age 14, and received his pilot’s license at the age of 15 (before he had his driver’s license).
- He and his planes have been featured in national aviation publications.
- One of his favorite work projects includes the historic restoration and design of Jefferson Boulevard over the St. Joseph River, a four-span arch over the in South Bend. It was a very detailed, fancy design that required accuracy by the contractor, which Dennis believes was executed expertly.
Even with so many working years under his belt, Dennis says that sometimes it feels like he just got here. To him, work ethic and mentorship that is fostered among employees is what keeps him going. Maybe that’s what keeps each day feeling so new. Congratulations on your newest milestone, Dennis!